There is nothing worse than failing to prepare and increasing your readiness when you have the time and fair warning.
I’ve just developed a quick aide-mémoire to increase readiness. Here are the four key steps to be fully prepared for any challenge (e.g., sales campaign, product launch, client proposal, etc.)
Step 1: Activate
- Confirm situation and probable mission and goals
- Determine time available to prepare
- Review documents, do preliminary research, consult previous reports
- Activate team and support network
- Prepare equipment, dress, “ammunition”
- Inform your troops
Step 2: Reconnoitre
- Terrain (market)
- Objective (client, target segment)
- Enemy (competitors)
- Weather (context and conditions)
Step 3: Plan
- Analyze reconnaissance results: aim, factors, options, decision, plan
- Tactics: frontal attack, flanking attack, bypass manoeuvre
- Exploit and protect centre of gravity
- Determine main effort and mass forces for optimal impact
- Manoeuvre strengths against weaknesses and gaps (of clients, competitors)
Step 4: Deploy
- Brief troops, supporters, colleagues (as needed)
- Initial and final rehearsals
- Update plan, develop contingency plans
- Final preparation-material and psychological
- How is your morale and that of your team? Do you have the will to win?
Now, go win your battles!
I’m never too busy to discuss your needs or those of anyone else you feel may benefit from meeting or talking to me. So feel free to contact me at any time!
Richard Martin is The Force Multiplier. He brings his military and business leadership and management experience to bear for executives and organizations seeking to radically improve performance, grow, and thrive in the face of rapid change, harsh competition, and increasing uncertainty.
© 2015 Richard Martin. Reproduction and quotes are permitted with proper attribution.